ELE 3707 Social Media
The media landscape and traditional communication patterns are changing. Social networking creates new arenas for customers relations, public debate and discussion, and will therefore have an increasingly important role. This offers opportunities and challenges for all those who have an awareness of own reputation and communication work. Importantly, therefore, to understand the new requirements in order to communicate effectively and credibility with those you want to reach.
• Established knowledge of how digitization and use of new technology is changing the terms of businesses' business operations, communications and marketing
• Developed understanding that social must be an integral part of corporate value chains and business
• Have knowledge of how social media can amplify and play along with the information contained in the company's other channels
After completing the course, students will be able to:
• Clarify change aspects of marketing communication as a result of digitization and increased user generated content in social media
• Be able to explain how social media should contribute to achieving the organization's business objectives
• Contribute to the work of planning, implementation and measurement of communication processes in social media that provide synergies to the company's traditional communications and business operations.
The students should be able to openly reflect upon the transparency behind communications core values. Besides, the students should be able to see that dialog is a prerequisite behind creating value for the communicator.
• Digitization and use of new technology - how it affects businesses' communication
• Social media's role in social development
• Social media platforms, common traits, characteristics and properties
• Social media in marketing communications mix
• Strategic Foundation
• Roles, law and ethical issues
The course is conducted through classroom lectures,video lectures group assignments and discussions on Facebook. Three assignemnts are required in the course.
When course is delivered online, lecturer, in cooperation with the Academic Servises Network, will organize an appropriate combination of digital teaching and lectures. Online students are also offered a study guide to contribute to progression and overview. Total recommended time spent for completing the course also applies here.
Students will need their own PC.
For electives re-sit is normally offered at the next scheduled course. If an elective is discontinued or is not initiated in the semester it is offered, re-sit will be offered in the electives ordinary semester.
Higher Education Entrance Qualification.
No specific prerequisites required.
|Exam category||Weight||Invigilation||Duration||Grouping||Comment exam|
Form of assessment:
Internal and external examiner
Examination when next scheduled course
|100||No||1 Week(s)||Group/Individual (1 - 3)||The project should appear as a communication plan in social media. In addition, each student must hand in a self-assessment that provides a brief description of the learning outcomes in relation to the course learning objectives, and a reasoned character suggestions. The project paper must be in accordance to BI's template references and should be a maximum of 25 pages (excluding self-assessment, cover page, table of contents, references and any appendices).|
|Form of assessment:||Written submission|
|Grouping (size):||Group/Individual (1-3)|
|Comment:||The project should appear as a communication plan in social media. In addition, each student must hand in a self-assessment that provides a brief description of the learning outcomes in relation to the course learning objectives, and a reasoned character suggestions. The project paper must be in accordance to BI's template references and should be a maximum of 25 pages (excluding self-assessment, cover page, table of contents, references and any appendices).|
|Resit:||Examination when next scheduled course|
Prepare for teaching
Group work / Assignments
A course of 1 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of 26-30 hours. Therefore a course of 7,5 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of at least 200 hours.