SPÅ 2931 Business communication in Spanish - Written - RE-SIT EXAMINATION
A re-sit examination is offered every term., and last time spring 2018.
SPÅ 2931 is an introduction to written Spanish business communication, focusing on commercial language and cultural aspects to which Norwegians in particular must pay attention.
- acquire a vision of the main traits of history and society in Spanish-speaking countries
- get acquainted with culture and patterns of reaction in the Spanish-speaking world, in particular regarding business and working life
- learn basic business terminology and appropriate register for written business communication
- develop intercultural terminology in order to contrast cultural differences between Norway and the Spanish-speaking countries
The course will improve students knowledge of Spanish in order to enable them to
- understand simple business-related texts and articles about cultural issues in Spanish
- produce such texts in Spanish, for instance notes, abstracts, letters, e-mails and short essays
The course will help students
- develop an increased awareness of cultural differences and their impact on business
- acquire an understanding of the importance of relevant terminology and appropriate register in written business communication
- an introduction to history and society in Spanish-speaking countries
- perspectives on identity, culture and society in Norway and the Spanish-speaking world
- basic terminology for business and the comparison of cultures
- appropriate register; formal language in written business communication
The course comprises 45 hours of classroom teaching, focusing partly on presentations of the syllabus (lectures), but mainly on working individually or in groups in order to understand and produce text and terminology. Weekly assignments will be given during the term. At the beginning of the course there will be a plan detailing the programme of each week, so as to enable the students to organize their work and be thoroughly prepared for the teaching sessions.
Higher Education Entrance Qualification.
Two years of Spanish from Upper Secondary School, the Foundation course in Spanish offered by BI, or similar background. Students who do not meet these formal requirements, may qualify by passing an internal test in the first week of their first academic year at BI. In order to participate in SPÅ 2931, students should have a good basic vocabulary and be familiar with verbal expressions of past, present and future. Those who are unsure of their basic knowledge of Spanish, are recommended to take the internal test anyway. If their knowledge is found to be poor, this may be remedied by participating in (all or parts of) the preparatory course in Spanish during their first year at BI.
|Exam category||Weight||Invigilation||Duration||Support materials||Grouping||Comment exam|
Form of assessment:
Internal and external examiner
Examination every semester
|100||Yes||5 Hour(s)||Individual||Students will sit for a five-hour individual written examination by the end of the course. The exam consists of two parts, both of which must given a passing grade in order for the student to pass the written examination. Part 1: Writing of a commercial text in Spanish, based on given information, and/or translation of a commercial text to or from Spanish. Part 2: Short essay(s) in Spanish on one or more topics from the syllabus of background and culture. Examination support materials Maximum two dictionaries - one Spanish-Spanish dictionary and one bilingual dictionary (between Spanish and another language) are allowed.|
|Form of assessment:||Written submission|
|Support materials:|| |
|Comment:||Students will sit for a five-hour individual written examination by the end of the course. The exam consists of two parts, both of which must given a passing grade in order for the student to pass the written examination. Part 1: Writing of a commercial text in Spanish, based on given information, and/or translation of a commercial text to or from Spanish. Part 2: Short essay(s) in Spanish on one or more topics from the syllabus of background and culture. Examination support materials Maximum two dictionaries - one Spanish-Spanish dictionary and one bilingual dictionary (between Spanish and another language) are allowed.|
|Resit:||Examination every semester|
Teaching on Campus
Student's own work with learning resources
Group work / Assignments
A course of 1 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of 26-30 hours. Therefore a course of 7,5 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of at least 200 hours.