APPLIES TO ACADEMIC YEAR 2014/2015
ELE 3745 Leadership training, personal development and coaching
Responsible for the course
Department of Leadership and Organizational Behaviour
According to study plan
Language of instruction
This course targets students who are interested in personal development and practical leadership training. The scientific foundation is within positive psychology, while coaching and mentoring represent the practical tools.
The primary aim is to initiate a learning process leading to growth both as a leader and as a person.
- The leader´s tool box
- Insight into personal talents and signature strengths
- Knowledge of positive psychology as a theoretical foundation
- Understanding of the narrative approach to change
- Practice emotional intelligence and cognitive empathy to understand other people
- Practice coaching and mentoring to help other people achieve their goals
- Build engagement, meaning and happiness through self-leadership and healthy goals
- Give non-threatening feedback
- Develop positive thinking, feelings and behavior, in order to achieve positive outcomes.
- Ideas and dreams about the functioning of great leaders, teams and organizations
- Altruism as basis for helping others. Help facilitate engagement and a meaningful life
- Leadership and life itself as a learning process entailing a step-by-step process for the individual, the team and the organization
- Desire to be a role-model of leadership
Basic knowlege of leadership and organizational life
Berg, Morten Emil og Ellen Ribe. 2013. Coaching : å hjelpe ledere og medarbeidere til å lykkes. 3. utg. Universitetsforlaget
Berg, Morten Emil. 2008. Ledelse : verktøy og virkemidler. 3. utg. Universitetsforlaget
Rostron, Sunny Stout. 2014. Business coaching international : transforming individuals and organizations. 2nd ed. Karnac
Berg, Morten Emil. 2010. Coaching og jakten på identitet. Magma. nr. 2
Berg, M.E. 2011. Coaching : bro mellom teori og praksis. Psykologisk tidsskrift. nr. 3
Berg, M.E. and J. T. Karlsen. 2012. An evaluation of management training and coaching. Journal of Workplace Learning. 24 (3)
Frame of reference
- Positive psychology: Helping individuals, teams and organizations to" flourish"
- Narrative approach: The story I tell about (and to) myself versus the story I wish to tell
- Five levels of leadership. From self-leadership to ideological leadership
- Leadership style and leadership role: From one dimentional leadership to multi-dimentional leadership
- Identify and develop talents and signature-strengths. Bridging the gap between the Present Self and the Ideal Self.
- Positive emotions. Joy. Optimism. Self-efficacy. Resilience. Mindfulness etc.
- Stress and stress coping strategies. Stopping time-thieves. Self-discipline. Self-talk. Creativity. Courage
- Personal efficiency. Time management. Learn to say no. Delegation. Empowerment of others
- The rethorical process. Preparing for presentations/dialogue. Communication skills
- SMART and healthy goals. Prioritation and focus.
- Coaching. Asking powerful questions. Mentoring: Giving wise answers.
- Motivation through self-leadership, engagement and meaning
- Conflict and conflict management. Identification of power base
- Praise and criticism. Giving and receiving feedback
None in particular
Learning process and workload
The course will normally be organized in 3 modules consisting of 2 days, 45 contact hours in total.
Teaching combines lectures, team work, cases, role plays and tests. Considerable effort will be put on creating a supportive and safe learning environment. Such an environment facilitates a high degree of involvement, performance and feedback. Students may present specific challenges and possibilities they are facing.
Recommended use of hours for students:
|Teacher facilitation: Lectures. Case discussions. Tests. Training etc.||
|Practical work on leadership challenges, e.g. in student associations||
|Collaboration, training and learning in colloques||
|Recommended number of hours||
The final exam is a project assigment.
The project assignment can be written by one individual og or by max. three students. The assigment will be handed out during Module 1.
Students may choose one out of three assignments:.
A. Discussion of the student`s personal development by applying tools presented in the course.
B.Taking on a challenge or solving a problem which the participant is facing in his/her role as leader.
C. Have 5-12 coaching dialogues. Analysis of the dialogues.
ELE 37451 Project assignment counts 100% of final grade in ELE 3745 Leadership training, personal development and coaching, 7.5 credits
Examination support materials
All support material allowed
Possibility for re-sit exam at the next regular course