ELE 3745 Leadership training, personal development and coaching
This course targets students who are interested in personal development and practical leadership training. The scientific foundation is within positive psychology, while coaching and mentoring represent the practical tools.
The primary aim is to initiate a learning process leading to growth both as a leader and as a person.
During the course, students will acquire:
- The leader´s tool box
- Insight into personal talents and signature strengths
- Knowledge of positive psychology as a theoretical foundation
- Understanding of the narrative approach to change
After completed course student shal be able to:
- Practice cognitive empathy to understand other people
- Practice coaching and mentoring to help other people achieve their goals
- Build engagement, meaning and happiness through self-leadership and healthy goals
- Give non-threatening feedback
- Develop positive thinking, feelings and behavior, in order to achieve positive outcomes.
The aim is to help students achieve attitudes and reflections related to:
- Ideas and dreams about the functioning of great leaders, teams and organizations
- Altruism as basis for helping others. Help facilitate engagement and a meaningful life
- Leadership and life itself as a learning process entailing a step-by-step process for the individual, the team and the organization
- Desire to be a role-model of leadership
Frame of reference
- Positive psychology: Helping individuals, teams and organizations to" flourish"
- Narrative approach: The story I tell about (and to) myself versus the story I wish to tell
- Activ use of different aspects of relation leadership
- Be able to use the elements of relation leadership to show bravery, increase dialog and communication
- Identify and develop talents. Bridging the gap between the Present Self and the Ideal Self.
- Positive emotions. Joy. Optimism. Self-efficacy. Resilience. Mindfulness etc.
- Stress and stress coping strategies. Stopping time-thieves. Self-discipline. Self-talk. Creativity. Courage
- Personal efficiency. Time management. Learn to say no. Delegation. Empowerment of others
- The rethorical process. Preparing for presentations/dialogue. Communication skills
- SMART and healthy goals. Prioritation and focus.
- Coaching. Asking powerful questions. Mentoring: Giving wise answers.
- Motivation through self-leadership, engagement and meaning
- Conflict and conflict management. Identification of power base
- Praise and criticism. Giving and receiving feedback
The course will normally be organized in 3 modules consisting of 2 days, 45 contact hours in total.
Teaching combines lectures, team work, cases, role plays and tests. Considerable effort will be put on creating a supportive and safe learning environment. Such an environment facilitates a high degree of involvement, performance and feedback. Students may present specific challenges and possibilities they are facing.
The final exam is a project assigment which is handed out during Module 1.
The project assignment can be written by one individual og or by max. three students. Students may choose one out of three assignments:.
- A. Discussion of the student`s personal development by applying tools presented in the course.
- B.Taking on a challenge or solving a problem which the participant is facing in his/her role as leader.
- C. Have 5-12 coaching dialogues. Analysis of the dialogues.
For electives re-sit is normally offered at the next scheduled course. If an elective is discontinued or is not initiated in the semester it is offered, re-sit will be offered in the electives ordinary semester.
Higher Education Entrance Qualification
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, there may be deviations in teaching and learning activities as well as exams, compared with what is described in this course description.
Basic knowlege of leadership and organizational life
|Exam category||Weight||Invigilation||Duration||Grouping||Comment exam|
Form of assessment:
Internal and external examiner
Examination when next scheduled course
|Form of assessment:||Written submission|
|Resit:||Examination when next scheduled course|
Teaching on Campus
Prepare for teaching
Student's own work with learning resources
Group work / Assignments
A course of 1 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of 26-30 hours. Therefore a course of 7,5 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of at least 200 hours.