MRK 3433 Marketing Communication 3.0
APPLIES TO ACADEMIC YEAR 2016/2017
MRK 3433 Marketing Communication 3.0
Responsible for the course
Cecilie Staude, Morten William Knudsen
Department of Marketing
According to study plan
Language of instruction
Communication is the core of most organizations. With a media landscape that is changing enterprises are facing new challenges in their efforts to reach new target groups and build relations with them. The traditional way of thinking market communication is now being challenged by new channels that provide more people with better opportunities for participating and expressing themselves. Thus, it is more important than ever that those who are planning the market communication of both today and tomorrow have an overall understanding of what form of communication will secure good interaction between the marketing and communication activities.
The students are to acquire an understanding of the fact that in a new media landscape it will be more important to work towards an overall conception of the marketing communication of an enterprise. This is a matter of integration and parallelism that will secure good interaction between the activities related to marketing and to communication, be it the organization-driven brand and reputation building, the paid marketing activities or unpaid activities of this type where the users increasingly are becoming the suppliers of conditions for the content.
- Establishing knowledge of a fragmented media landscape will imply new requirements regarding communication processes.
- Understanding the interaction between digital/social media and traditional media
- Familiarity with the planning process for communication campaigns, including the communication mix
- Be able to describe and apply relevant communication theories to achieve the communication objectives.
- Be able to analyse the distinctive features and characteristics of the different media platforms
- Be able to contribute to the planning, implementation and measuring of market communication processes.
The students are to develop an ability to see ethical dilemmas, assess the consequences and focus on honesty and ethically responsible choices when planning and implementing marketing communication measures.
No particular prerequisite knowledge is required.
Fill, Chris. 2011. Essentials of marketing communication. Prentice Hall
Collection of articles:
Cecilie Staude. Artikkelsamling til MRK 3433 Markedskommunikasjon 3.0. (Oversikt over artikler som inngår i artikkelsamlingen vil bli publisert på Its learning)
Barker, Melissa S. [et al.]. 2016. Social media marketing : a strategic approach. South-Western / Cengage Learning
- A media landscape in change, importance of big data
- Examin and understanding the stakeholders
- Communication strategy, message development and communication planning
- The traditional toolbox of the market communicator
- The channels: distinctive features and characteristics
- Measurement of communication effects
In general, the course presupposes the use of the learning platform ”It`s learning” and the Internet.
Learning process and workload
The course consists of classroom teaching, group work and work on cases and assignments. The Facebook page for the course will be used as a pedagogical learning arena throughout the semester.
Use of time:
|Preparations for lectures/self-study||
|Cases/student involvement on Facebook||
|Recommended total use of time||
In course delivery as online courses or evening classes, will lecturer, in collaboration with the Academic Services Network and evening studies, organize an appropriate combination of digital and class room teaching. Online students are also offered a study guide, which will help progression and overview. Total recommended amount of time for completion of the course also applies here.
A four hour individual written examination that counts 100% towards the grade.
MRK 34331 – Written examination that counts 100% towards the grade in the course MRK 3433, 7.5 credits.
Examination support materials
No support materials allowed.
A re-sit is held every term.