APPLIES TO ACADEMIC YEAR 2015/2016
ELE 3714 Human Resource Management
Responsible for the course
Department of Leadership and Organizational Behaviour
According to study plan
Language of instruction
"Our employees are our greatest asset "is a statement often encountered. What does it mean, and how is it organised to ensure visibility in the organisation? The course will provide an overview of HR management and HR roles and responsibilities in today's workplace. This includes all levels of management. Criteria for the good working environment, personnel, recruitment policies, motivation, knowledge goals, learning, attitudes, and training will be key topics of the course. The course also includes laws, agreements, social conditions and labour law.
After completed course student shall:
- Have acquired a oversit of important principles and tasks of modern personnel management
- Have been kunsskap on various management tools in personnel management
- Have knowledge of relevant laws, agreements and social conditions that affect the management of staff.
After the course students shall:
- Be more aware of their own behavior as personnel manager
- Be able to use tools that are reviewed in the course of the exercise of personnel management
- See the value in being able to develop itself as a leader
- See the potential in utilizing the forces and development opportunities for the individual employee and the organization as a whole.
ORG 3402 or equivalent or work experience.
Einarsen, Ståle og Anders Skogstad, red. 2011. Det gode arbeidsmiljø : krav og utfordringer. 2. utg. Fagbokforlaget. Kapittel 6,7,9,10,11,12,14,16,17,18
Kuvaas, Bård og Anders Dysvik. 2012. Lønnsomhet gjennom menneskelige ressurser : evidensbasert HRM. 2. utg. Fagbokforlaget
Storeng, Nils H., Beck, Due Lund. 2015. Arbeidsrett. 9. utg. Cappelen Damm akademisk. (Alternativt kan 8. utgave fra 2012 benyttes)
Mikkelsen og Laudal (red). 2014. Strategisk HRM1. Cappelen Damm Akademisk. Kap 2 (87-105) - Publiseres på Itslearning
Øyvind Kvalnes. 2012. Etikk og Samfunnsansvar. Universitetsforlaget. Kap 3,4 og 5. (23-41) - Publiseres på Itslearning
- Principles and practice in modern human resource management
- Development of the human resource function
- Human resource policy
- Learning, competence and career development
- Compensation, salary and rewards
- Work environment, health and safety
- Appraisal interviews
- Recruitment and selection
- Social benefits
- Ethics, labour law and human resource management
Computer-based tools will not be used in this course.
Learning process and workload
The course is a combination of lectures, case-and group and plenary discussions.
Students work requirements/use of time:
|Participation in lectures||
|Casework in groups and discussions i class||
|Preparations for lectures||
|Studying and colloqium work||
|Suggested time in course||
A five-hour individual written examination completes the course.
ELE 37141, 5-hour written exam which accounts for 100% of the grade in ELE 3714, 7,5 credits.
Examination support materials
Only support material allowed for examination is:
Storeng, N.H. and Beck, T.H. and Due Lund, A. 2015. Labour. 9. Ed. Cappelen Academic Press. (Alternatively, the 8th edition from 2012 is allowed).
Examination support materials at written examiniations are explained under examination information in the student portal @BI. Be aware of regulations regarding references and notes in the text. https://at.bi.no/EN/Pages/Exa_Hjelpemidler-til-eksamen.aspx
A re-sit is held in connection with the next scheduled exam in the course.