APPLIES TO ACADEMIC YEAR 2016/2017
BST 9742 Small Business Development
Responsible for the course
Department of Law
According to study plan
Language of instruction
This course, together with BTH 9743 Bachelor’s Thesis – Small Business Development, 15 ECTS, makes up a specialisation of 30 ECTS, which is included in the students’ final diploma. The course applies to students enrolled on the Bachelor’s Programme in Marketing or the Bachelor’s Programme in Business Administration. Other students may choose this course as an elective in their 3rd year.
The course aims at qualifying students for management of small and medium-sized enterprises – SMEs – as well as for consultancy work for SMEs. This entails that the specialisation has ties to the business community and practical entrepreneurship. Cases and discussions are used to enable students to find work methods for contributing optimally to their own and other students’ learning. Hence the students become responsible for the learning processes, together with the organizers of the processes.
After completed course students shall have:
- Acquired basic knowledge of entrepreneurship
- Acquired knowledge of decision-making support systems for SMEs
- Learned management of SMEs in various phases, from start-up to winding-up of companies.
- Know about critical sucsessfactors for a SME
After completed course students shall be able to:
- Prepare a business plan with focus on how to develop SMEs.
- Analyse management needs for companies in various phases.
- Prepare plans with budgets and economic consequence analyses.
- The students should develop respect for the complexity of enterprises.
- The students should be able to practice solution-oriented behaviour with ethical reflection.
2 years of bachelor studies in business administration, marketing or similar, including as a minimum a basic course of statistics from the 1st year of the bachelor’s programme – MET 3431 Statistics or MET 2920 Statistics.
Erichsen, Morten, Frode Solberg og Trond Stiklestad. 2015. Ledelse i små og mellomstore virksomheter. 1. utg. Fagbokforl. 416 sider
Klofsten, Magnus. 2009. Affärsplattformen : entreprenören och företagets första år. 3. uppl. SNS Förlag
Levorsen, Stein O. 2014. Styrearbeid i praksis : innføring i styrets hovedoppgaver og arbeidsform med eksempler og bedriftshistorier. 8. utg. Universitetsforlaget
Wickham, Philip A. 2006. Strategic entrepreneurship. 4th ed. FT Prentice Hall
Arnulf, Jan Ketil. 2012. Hva er ledelse. Universitetsforlaget
Haugland, Sven A. 2004. Samarbeid, allianser og nettverk. 2. utg. Universitetsforlaget
Havnes, Per-Anders. 2009. Veien videre: strategisk utvikling av små bedrifter. Høyskoleforlaget
Osterwalder, Alexander and Yves Pigneur. 2010. Business model generation : a handbook for visionaries, game changers, and challengers. Wiley
Development and start-up phase
- External conditions for business in Norway
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Development of business ideas
- Business models and business plan process
- From business plan to operational business
- Management challenges in the development and start-up phase
Growth and maturation phase
- Development of leadership-, information and management systems
- Cooperation, alliances and net work
- Practical financial management of SMB
- Management and control in a growth phase
- Board functions in SMB
- Management in a growth phase
- Development of competence and employer - HRM
- Strategic management and strategic processes in SMB
- Business modelling as process
- Innovation and development processes
- Management of development processes
Change and crises
- Crises and risk management
- Methods and tools for change and readjustment
- Acquisitions, fusions and fisions
- Board control and risk management
- Change management
Students must employ PCs with Internet access. There are no particular requirements as regards IT competence but students must be familiar with using the Internet, database searches and using computer-based tools to analyse, structure and present information. Active use of BI’s Internet-based learning platform It’s Learning.
Learning process and workload
During the first part of the term there will be given a task via the learning platform It's learning. The assignment is an important part of the preparation and developmentfor the final term paper.
The task may be solved alone or in groups of up to three people. The written task has to be presented in plenary and feedback will be given The task is mandatory.
|Participation in teaching sessions||
|Preparations for lectures/reading literature||
|Writing term paper||
|Self-tuition and study groups||
|Total recommended workload||
The course ends with submission of a term paper which is to be handed in at the end of the autumn semester. The term paper can be written individually or in groups of up to three students.
The topic of the term paper is preparation of a plan for developing SMEs with focus on critical sucessfactors and risk.
BST 97421 Term paper, counts for 100% to obtain final grade in BST 9472 Small Business Development, 15 credits.
Examination support materials
All support materials are allowed.
A re-sit is held in connection with the next scheduled exam in the course.