BIK 2940 Management Competence at Board Level
The course shall give knowledge about important issues and theories that has relevance for practicing a directorship in the private or public sector. Vital issues in the course include understanding the connection between the companies various governing impulses (vision and strategies), the organizational system (including juridical and economic issues) and the management competence at board level.
- Enable the students to discuss theoretical perspectives of board work
- Have knowledge of Norwegian laws governing the start up and running of Pl's, Ltd's and companies with unlimited responsibility
- Have knowledge of the boards role as management an desicion making function
- Have knowledgeng of central pricnciples for strategic developement, CSR, finance and risk management
- To be able to develop methods for the cooperation between the manager and the board of directors
- To be able to develop methods to control the company management
- To be able to run a strategic process
- Have a clear understanding of the role of a board member
- Have a clear understanding of the board of directors responsiblity for and obligations towards the company's various stakeholders
- Have a clear understanding of what sustainable management entails in a board and management perspective..
- Perspective on the Board - the function of the Board - board management and the Board's work
- The Board's tasks seen from the owners', the company's and society's point of view - Sustainable management
- The role of the Board seen from the side of the share holders, the company and the society
- Various roles played in the boardroom, formal structures and informal work
- The roles of the owners, the Board and the Management. Role conflicts
- The competence required for Board members and the boards typologies
- The Boards various functions in Plcs, Ltds and Foundations
- The digital change and the boards role in the digitalization
- Laws and regulations of importance for the work in the boardroom and the individual board members responsibility and legal position with primary focus on Lov om Aksjeselskaper av 1997 (Plcs and Ltds)
- Recruitment of board members and of CEOs
- The Boards responsibility to develop overall management tools through focus on innovation,strategy - value creation.
- The Boards responsibility in connection with finances and risk management.
The course has 36 lecturing hours, primary in modules
In all BI Executive courses and programs, there is a mutual requirement for the student and the course responsible regarding the involvement of the student's experience in the planning and implementation of courses, modules and programmes. This means that the student has the right and duty to get involved with their own knowledge and practice relevance, through the active sharing of their relevant experience and knowledge.
Deviations in teaching and exams may occur if external conditions or unforeseen events call for this.
|Exam category||Weight||Invigilation||Duration||Grouping||Comment exam|
Form of assessment:
Internal and external examiner
Examination when next scheduled course
|100||No||1 Semester(s)||Group/Individual (1 - 3)||Term paper, which may be solved in groups of maximum 3 persons|
|Form of assessment:||Written submission|
|Grouping (size):||Group/Individual (1-3)|
|Comment:||Term paper, which may be solved in groups of maximum 3 persons|
|Exam code:||BIK 29401|
|Resit:||Examination when next scheduled course|
|Course code||Credit reduction|
|Course code:||BST 9742|
Kurset BIK 2940 sperrer 100% mot kurset BST 9742 Bedriftsutvikling for SMB.
Student's own work with learning resources
Group work / Assignments
Prepare for teaching
A course of 1 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of 26-30 hours. Therefore a course of 7,5 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of at least 200 hours.