APPLIES TO ACADEMIC YEAR 2014/2015
ELE 3637 Internship
Responsible for the course
Department of Innovation and Economic Organisation
According to study plan
Language of instruction
Norwegian and english
The objective with the internship program is to give students the opportunity combine work experience with studies in a manner that enhances their learning in both situations. By working in an enterprise, the students get to use theories and models they have learnt at school to solve practical tasks. This brings forth the relevance of the academic knowledge. At the same time, the course gives them the opportunity to systematically reflect on their practical work experiences. This prepares them for working life. The business community gets access to updated academic knowledge, able hands and the opportunity to address their needs for new knowledge as they prepare the internship activities for their interns. The student is responsible for finding an internship company.
- Know about the key operative function in an enterprise and their interconnections.
- Have an overview of the formal management systems of the enterprise.
- Understand how informal rules and business culture shape everyday work
- Ability to define and negotiate a realistic and productive work plan with manager
- Know how to identify and use relevant and reliable information, theories and models, in writing as well as orally.
- Ability to reflect on own professional development
- Respect for the complexities involved in doing business.
- Independence and responsibility.
- Critical reflection
Student must have the required study progress in the chosen bachelor field. Ability to read and write English is expected.
To apply, the student must submit a CV, report on grades, a letter of motivation and a signed learning contract with the company. The letter of motivation must contain what the student seeks to achieve in terms of professional development from working in the specific company. The learning contract must describe the intern’s role and responsibility during the internship, the expected learning outcome for the intern, the expected practical outcome for the company, progress and name, singature and contact details of the contact person in the company.
Sweitzer,H. Frederick and Mary A. King. 2013. The successful internship : personal, professional and civic development. 4th international student ed. Cengage Learning. Kap. 2 Essentials for the journey. Kap. 3. Framing the experience: The developmental stages of an internship. Side 22-61. (3. utgave fra 2009 kan også benyttes)
Ca. 350 sider selvvalgt pensum
- The 5 internship phases
- Learning contract and work plan
- On companies and enterprises
- Problem,syllabus and project report
- Professional development
- Uses of theory
- Reflection and experiential learning
No special IT-tools are used
Learning process and workload
In internship company: 240 hours
The work tasks must be agreed with the company, including hours to preparatory work with the term paper. The work must be done during the semester through two full workdays (a 8 hours) per week from the start of the semester and until after the last workshop. If needed, the intern and company may agree to a slightly different workload, for example is a trade fair, survey or other activities require the student to work more during some weeks and less other weeks. The length of the internship work in the company shall not exceed 15 weeks calculated from the start of the semester. The work is not paid, and emphasis is on the intern's learning.
At school: 160 hours
- Kick-off seminar with interns and companies
- 4 workshops for students, and one term paper review session .
- It's learning activities.
- Literature review/term paper (individual).
- Prepare oral presentation.
The internship examination consists of a term paper, which is to be submitted in advance of the 4th workshop. The paper is to be submitted individually in three copies and must include:
- Reference list of 350 pages chosen literature. It is recommended to make use of liretature from previous course curricula.
- Signed confirmation letter from the internship company that the internship is completed, and an assessment of the results in relation to the learning contract.
Oral presentation for examiners of key points from the paper.
ELE 36371 Term paper and oral presentation together counts for 100% of grade.
Examination support materials
All support materials are allowed.
At the next ordinary course. Requires new term paper and oral presentation.