BIK 2917 Organizational Development and Change
Organizational learning and the leader or consultant as change agent
Teams, departments and organizations are continually facing new challenges. Leaders as well as experts are expected to act as change agents and facilitators. The key challenge is to develope teams and organizations which are flexible enough to adapt to challenges by incremental learning processes. This course focus especially on the different stages of the learning process," step by step". Distinct success criteria and pit-falls in change prosesses are highlighted.
By the end of the course, students should have gained:
- Knowledge into the different stages of the change process
- Knowledge into specific tools and techniques in the work of change
- Thorough insight into success criteria and pit-falls of change processes
- Awareness of their ressources and talents and started to delevope these strenghts and talents
- Knowledge of the change agent`s role
- Apply a systematic methodology in order to achieve change in a team, a department or an organization
- Apply specific tools and techniques in the work of change
- Identify obstacles to change and knowledge of strategies to overcome such obstacles
- Act as ressource partner for change in discussions and concrete projects
- Act as facilitator to develope a team, department or organization
- Build networks and alliances where members continually support and challenge each other
- Altruistic values. Helping employees and customers to succeed
- Awareness of the importance of working on both the personal and the professional role, and reflection on personal values, cognition and behaviour
- Show a constructive, critical attitude towards change theories and "changee tools". Consciousness of both positive and negative consequences/implications of these theories and tools.
- Consciousness of ethical considerations and aspects related to organization developement and organizational change.
Building a platform for change
- Challenges and possibilities facing teams, departments and organizations today
- Paradoxes and dilemmas in change processes
- Innovation and revitalization of organizations. Identifying and influencing organizational culture
- Realization and living the new organizationa culture
The change process
- Stages in a change process. The importance of flexiblilty
- Making a diagnosis: Identifying and analysing the organization or department
- Goal: Specifying the ideal/wanted situation
- Planning and implementation: Grounding the change process. Information, communication, involvement and committment
Tools and strategies
- Tools, techniques and methods for implementing the change process. Evaluation, learning and rewards
- Obstacles to change. Stategies for overcoming obstacles
- Success criteria and pit-falls in change processes. Prerequisites and strategies for succeeding
- Tool-kit for change work
- Evaluation of change
- The role of consultants and change agents. An alternative consulting style
- Continual development and change in organizations. Learning as" step-by-step processes"
- Future trends: Organization development and change in the years to come
- Developing oneself as a change agent
Course duration is 42 hours of teaching throughout one semester.
Higher Education Entrance Qualification
Students are expected to have a basic knowledge of organization and leadership.
|Exam category||Weight||Invigilation||Duration||Grouping||Comment exam|
Form of assessment:
Internal and external examiner
Examination when next scheduled course
|100||No||1 Semester(s)||Group/Individual ( 1 - 3)|
|Form of assessment:||Written submission|
|Grouping (size):||Group/Individual (1-3)|
|Exam code:||BIK 29171|
|Resit:||Examination when next scheduled course|
A course of 1 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of 26-30 hours. Therefore a course of 7,5 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of at least 200 hours.