APPLIES TO ACADEMIC YEAR 2016/2017
BØK 3647 Financial Accounting
Responsible for the course
Roy Kristen Kristensen
Department of Accounting - Auditing and Business Analytics
According to study plan
Language of instruction
This course is part of the statutory curriculum for approval as a Norwegian Certified Accountant. The programme meets the requirements of the Certified Accountant Regulation of 8 February 1999 no. 196 (education requirements for certified accountants).
The course will give the students in-depth knowledge about the theoretical basis, laws and other central regulations regarding production of annual accounts and drawing up the annual report for private enterprises in accordance with Norwegian generally accepted accounting principles (NGAAP). Furthermore, basic knowledge about differences between NGAAP and IFRS is included.
The students shall be able to produce annual accounts including consolidated accounts, and annual reports according to Norwegian accountancy legislation. The students shall also be able - with reference to actual legislation - to address and discuss definite accountancy problems related to annual accounts and annual reports.
The students should be conscious about the importance of accurate financial accounts.
The course requieres knowledge corresponding to following courses or eqivalent:
BØK 3411 Finance and Managerial Accounting I, BØK 3421 Finance and Managerial Accounting II, BØK 3531 Financial Accounting and Financial Statement Analysis, BØK 3541 Managerial Accounting and Control.
Gjems-Onstad, Ole, red. Skattelovsamlingen. Siste utg. Gyldendal juridisk
Kristensen, Roy ... [et al.]. Årsregnskapet : Oppgavesamling med løsningsforslag. siste utgave. Gyldendal akademisk
Schwencke, Hans Robert... [et al.]. Årsregnskapet i teori og praksis. siste utg. Gyldendal akademisk
Kvifte, Steinar Sars, André Tofteland og Anne-Cathrine Bernhoft. Finansregnskap : God regnskapsskikk og IFRS : Oppgaver og løsninger. siste utgave. Fagbokforlaget
- Focus on the user groups of comapny accounts and their need for accounting information and accounting regulation
- Norwegian and international accounting rules, development of international regulation and regulatory bodies
- Profit and loss versus balance orientation
- IFRS conseptual framework
- The theoretical basis for the Norwegian basic accounting principles and best accounting practice
In-depth knowledge in accounting
- In depth knowledge of valuation, measuring and accruals of the most basic items in the accounts as well as basic accounting principles
- Knowledge about the special regulations for small and micro companies
- Knowledge about the special regulations for ideal organizations
- Knowledge about the most basic differences between accounting and taxation
- Ability to produce annual accounts, including tax and year end disposals, for a limited company
- Knowledge about the regulation regarding notes to company accounts and Directors' report
- Ability to produce basic consolidated accounts
Computer-based tools are not used in this course.
Learning process and workload
The course is taught in the autumn term. Teaching is based on 90 lecturing hours. Curriculum proposals and exercise suggestions are distributed each term.
Use of time
|Participation in teaching sessions||
|Preparation for teaching sessions||
|Own work on cases/exercises||
|Recommended total use of time||
In course delivery as online courses or evening classes, will lecturer, in collaboration with the Academic Services Network and evening studies, organize an appropriate combination of digital and class room teaching. Online students are also offered a study guide, which will help progression and overview. Total recommended amount of time for completion of the course also applies here.
A six- hour individual written examination completes the course.
BØK 36472 Written examination, which accounts for 100% of the grade in BØK 3647 Financial Accounting, 15 ECTS.
Examination support materials
All support materials + BI approved exam calculator. Examination support materials at written examinations are explained under examination information in the student portal @bi. Please note use of calculator and dictionary in the section on support materials (https://at.bi.no/EN/Pages/Exa_Hjelpemidler-til-eksamen.aspx).
Re-sit examination is offered every term.
Please note Examiniation code is changed from BØK 36471 to BØK 36472.