APPLIES TO ACADEMIC YEAR 2015/2016
SPÅ 2911 Business communication in German - Written
Responsible for the course
Department of Communication and Culture
According to study plan
Language of instruction
The Course is an introduction to written German business communication, focusing on aspects in German business to which Norwegians in particular must pay attention.
- Knowledge of German economy and business life.
- Knowledge of German language to understand and participate in German economic life.
- Knowledge of Norwegian and German business language.
On completion of the course the students should be able to
· Take notes and write summaries
· Write brief translations
· Write business letters
· Write brief essays
The students should
· Develop an increased awareness of language and cultural differences and their impact on business
· Acquire an understanding of the importance of relevant terminology and appropriate register in written business communication
German from upper secondary school or equivalent
Eismann, Volker. 2008. Wirtschaftskommunikation Deutsch. Langenscheidt
Frønsdal, Harald. 2000. Tysk grammatikk med øvinger. 5. utg. Cappelen akademisk forlag
2007. Duden : Deutsches Universalwörterbuch. 7., überarbeitete und erweiterte Aufl. Dudenverlag
Schanke, Egil. 2005. Norsk-tysk/tysk-norsk økonomisk ordbok. 4. utg. Cappelen akademisk forlag. Tillatt brukt til eksamen
- German language and social conventions in business life
- Business occupations, mercantile professions
- Enterprises, companies
- Forms of business organization
Internet, It's learning, Powerpoint
Learning process and workload
The course consists of 45 hours of classroom teaching: Some knowledge transfer and practical language exercises. Time used for writing e-mails, notes, messages and letters. To participate actively in class, each student must write (at least) three letters. Teaching takes place mostly in and between groups. Good preparation and use of the detailed schedule is recquired for a good learning process.
Recommended workload in hours:
|Preparation for class||
|Self-study and study groups||
|Preparation for the examiniation||
|Total recommended time use||
A 5-hour individual written examination concludes the course. All parts of he examination must be passed.
SPÅ 29111 - Written examination accounts for 100 % of the final grade in the course Wirtschaftskommunikation Deutsch 1 SPÅ 2911, 7,5 ECTS.
Examination support materials
- Egil Schanke: Norwegian-German, German - Norwegian economic dictionary, Cappelen Akademiske Forlag
- One German-German dictionary, DUDEN Universalwörterbuch A-Z
- One dictionary between German and another language
A re-sit examination is offered every term.