GRA 6548 Internship for MSc in Finance
The internship is an opportunity to work full-time at a company during your studies and gain professional experience. As a participant in the internship programme, you have been selected to work at a specific company based on both what the company is seeking and your Master specialization. The internship will give you valuable insights in real-world challenges in the broad area of finance, and should help you in applying your academic learning toward increasing organizational effectiveness and growth.
Please be aware that the Internship period will be in May and June, while the examination will be in the autumn semester.
At the end of the internship, the student should be able to grasp the specific challenges faced by the company in creating value, relate academic knowledge and learn how to collaborate in offering solutions and creating new opportunities.
The student at the end of the internship is expected to acquire understanding as to
- the practical issues and dilemmas faced by the company on a daily basis
- the value chain and the competitive edge of the company
- the management system and organizational structure of the company, and
- the time and efficiency constraints imposed by competition
The student at the end of the internship is expected to acquire skills in relation to
- defining and executing tasks under conditions of uncertainty, change and time pressure
- supporting suggestions for practical solutions with sound argumentation and academic analysis
- applying theoretical and technical knowledge to specific tasks and problems, and
- collaborating and working in teams
The student, at the end of the internship, should reflect on the complexity of the work environment, the market forces that drive businesses and how companies create value in view of new opportunities, innovation and growth.
Students will work for 8 weeks in a selected company and the tasks are assigned by each company. Students must attend work as agreed upon with the company they are assigned to. The internship work is unpaid. After the completion of the internship, the student will give a presentation related to the internship. Each student is entitled to a maximum of 1.5 hours supervision.
The internship is for 8 weeks, full time and a completed and an approved internship will give 6 ECTS credits. The evaluation will be based on an oral presentation before the end of the term.
The student is expected to
- present general information about the company and the department that was assigned to, as well as the overall professional experience gained
- present specific and detailed information about the internship position, the work assignments, and
- answer questions that demonstrate the ability to relate the internship experience with the academic knowledge acquired during the programme
- identify one issue, in collaboration with the employer, and propose solutions based on theoretical considerations and knowledge you have aquired during the programme
All courses in the Masters programme will assume that students have fulfilled the admission requirements for the programme. In addition, courses in second, third and/or fourth semester can have specific prerequisites and will assume that students have followed normal study progression. For double degree and exchange students, please note that equivalent courses are accepted.
|Exam category||Weight||Invigilation||Duration||Grouping||Comment exam|
Form of assessment:
Internal and external examiner
Examination when next scheduled course
|100||No||-||Individual||Presentation The presentation should be approximately 30 minutes (15 minutes for the presentation and 15 minutes for questions).|
|Form of assessment:||Oral examination|
|Comment:||Presentation The presentation should be approximately 30 minutes (15 minutes for the presentation and 15 minutes for questions).|
|Resit:||Examination when next scheduled course|
A course of 1 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of 26-30 hours. Therefore a course of 6 ECTS credits corresponds to a workload of at least 160 hours.