GRA 6038 Ethics and Sustainability in Organizations
The main aim of this course is to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary to take an active, professional part in countering the social, economic and environmental challenges of the 21st century, including climate change, poverty, environmental degradation and employment issues generated by the automation of human labor. Private and public organizations, as well as governments and individuals, on different levels are ethically responsible for finding constructive measures to deal with these challenges. To do so, knowledge about the scope and relevance of sustainable development is crucial.
This course highlights the relevance of ethics and sustainability for the decision-making processes in organizations, and provides a theoretical framework for understanding and balancing responsibilities toward the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 2030. The course has an applied orientation, introducing cases and dilemmas for discussion in light of the theoretical and practical input.
The candidate …
- Has thorough knowledge of the basic concepts and theories of applied ethics and sustainability research and their links to core organizational objectives and strategies.
- Can analyze and evaluate companies’ engagement associated with the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) from environmental, social and economic perspectives.
- Can analyze and evaluate processes that can lead to misbehavior and neglect of sustainability concerns in organizations, as well as constructive ways to establish and maintain responsible leadership and decision-making.
- Can see sustainability issues from the point of view of different stakeholders, including employees, media and investors.
- Is aware of climate challenges, and psychological barriers and solutions, of green growth and green growth strategies from a corporate perspective.
The candidate …
- Has applied the knowledge above in concrete situations through analyzing situations, dilemma training, dialogue and practical applications.
- Can provide justification for their choices based on factual and normative input, and analyze disagreements about ethical and sustainability issues.
- Can evaluate social responsible investment from different perspectives.
- Is aware of how organizations in the private and public sectors address the above issues in practice.
The candidate …
- Will be able to view their own professional education and practice in the light of possible effects on society and the environment.
- Will have insight into the requirements necessary to establish sustainable business, and recognize ethics as an integral part of any high-level professional competence.
- Will realize that ethical decisions related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) have personal ramifications, shaping the individual's responsibilities at work in different sectors.
- Will become better equipped to navigate in organizational environments where dilemmas and challenges are commonplace.
Issues covered in the course:
- Introduction to ethics in organizations
- Sustainable development and corporate responsibility — in practice
- Moral psychology
- Professionalism and conflict of interest
- Ethical navigation
- Anti-corruption and bribery
- Dilemma workshops
- Sustainability and stakeholder management — industry case
- Sustainability and climate psychology
- What is a sustainable corporation? - facts and personal values: Responsible Investments - Environmental, Social Governance (ESG)
The course will be taught through lectures, guest lectures, group work and presentations. Digital tools for communication and dialogue will be applied.
The course will consist of plenary sessions and group session. The plenary and group sessions will present the main concepts and ideas, and provide students with cases to discuss.
This course has two writing-workshops, one related to sustainability (Opinion Essay) and one related to ethical dilemmas. In each of the workshops, students are divided into groups who will work together on a paper with a one-week deadline. The workshops will provide the student with exam training. Papers are to be delivered in groups. The students will receive feedback on performance relative to requirements announced.
During the course the students will receive additional Opinion Essays assignments related to the lectures (in addition to the workshop). ONE of these assignments will be part of the home exam. The assignment chosen will be announced together with the exam.
Please note that while attendance is not compulsory in all courses, it is the student’s own responsibility to obtain any information provided in class.
All courses in the Masters programme will assume that students have fulfilled the admission requirements for the programme. In addition, courses in second, third and/or fourth semester can have spesific prerequisites and will assume that students have followed normal study progression. For double degree and exchange students, please note that equivalent courses are accepted.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, there may be deviations in teaching and learning activities as well as exams, compared with what is described in this course description.
Information about what is taught on campus and other digital forms will be presented with the lecture plan before the start of the course each semester.
|Exam category||Weight||Invigilation||Duration||Grouping||Comment exam|
Form of assessment:
Internal and external examiner
Examination when next scheduled course
|100||No||48 Hour(s)||Individual||A 48 hour take home exam concludes the course. The student will submit one of the essays to be evaluated as part of the exam. The essay chosen will be announced on the day of the exam. This essay will count for 25% of the final grade. The remaining 75% of the grade will be based on an assignment published at the beginning of the home exam.|
|Form of assessment:||Written submission|
|Comment:||A 48 hour take home exam concludes the course. The student will submit one of the essays to be evaluated as part of the exam. The essay chosen will be announced on the day of the exam. This essay will count for 25% of the final grade. The remaining 75% of the grade will be based on an assignment published at the beginning of the home exam.|
|Resit:||Examination when next scheduled course|
A course of 1 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of 26-30 hours. Therefore a course of 6 ECTS credits corresponds to a workload of at least 160 hours.