EXC 3632 Corporate Governance
EXC 3632 Corporate Governance
The aim of the course is to introduce the students to the importance of corporate governance in developing sustainable business enterprises. Recent experiences in Norway and other countries have highlighted the effect that poor corporate governance can have on firm performance, survival and reputation. Today, not only investors, but also public authorities and high performance employees are examining a companys corporate governance and control systems before committing to that firm. This course examines the evolving view of corporate governance in a global perspective.
After completed course students shall have learned of:
- Basic corporate governance concepts and theories
- International and national standards for corporate governance
- Corporate governance mechanisms and processes
After completed course students shall be able to:
- Analyze the incentives and payoffs of different corporate structures
- Use corporate governance analytical tools
- Respect for the ethical issues in corporate governance
- Understanding of sustainable business practices both in economic, social, cultural and environmental terms
- Introduction to the course, the history of the corporate governance field
- Corporate governance theories
- Board composition, interaction and performance
- Organization strategy, business models and risk assessment
- Incentives and compensation
- Reporting, audit and control
- Shareholder and stakeholder engagement
- Value creation and profit sharing
- Corporate governance standards
- New trends, course wrap up
The progress is secured through discussions and debates during the lectures. Students are expected to participate actively in class and to have completed the reading assignments before each class. They will be asked to present their views on the assigned cases, and to clearly argue their position in discussions of the cases.
The learning process includes are two coursework assignments where the first is preparation of a case presentation and a question for discussion in class. The presentation may be done in in groups of up to 5 students. The list of possible cases will be presented in the beginning of the semester. The second assignment is a multiple choice test given on Itslearning.
Computer-based tools: It's Learning, word, excel, powerpoint/prezi etc. youtube, other tool introduced if needed.
Required study progress for BBA-degree
|Exam category||Weight||Invigilation||Duration||Support materials||Grouping||Comment exam|
Form of assessment:
Internal and external examiner
Examination every semester
|Form of assessment:||Written submission|
|Support materials:|| |
|Resit:||Examination every semester|
Prepare for teaching
Student's own work with learning resources
Group work / Assignments
Preparation of case.
A course of 1 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of 26-30 hours. Therefore a course of 7,5 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of at least 200 hours.