EXC 3505 Strategy
APPLIES TO ACADEMIC YEAR 2014/2015
EXC 3505 Strategy
Responsible for the course
John Chandler Johnson
Department of Strategy and Logistics
According to study plan
Language of instruction
The course focuses on an overview of the field of strategy, and strategic choices on the top level of the organization. The course will give insights into strategic frameworks and tools, and will be related to strategic options in practice through an understanding of strategic processes.
During the course students should:
- Develop a good understanding of strategic leadership, including management and development of the resources of the organization.
- Make use of analysis tools to assess the strategic position of an organization
- Learn about problems and methods connected with development in different kinds of organizations, small as well as large ones, and in different industries.
- Acquire an understanding of how strategy integrates different knowledge areas, such as business economics, logistics, organization theory and marketing.
- Be able to focus on decision making and the use of practical tools in situations with conflicting objectives.
After completion of the course students will:
- Be able to structure the values of an organization, and develop vision and mission statements.
- Structure a strategic decision problem by formulating objectives and decision alternatives, and perform a strategic analysis to provide a basis for choice.
- Understand the interdependence of strategy with other managerial disciplines.
- Identify and reflect upon implementation issues
The students will develop an awareness of the importance of corporate responsibility and how ethics, stakeholder values and value creation connect.
Johnson, Gerry, Kevan Scholes, Richard Whittington. 2014. Fundamentals of strategy. 3rd ed. Pearson
- The concept of strategy
- Vision and mission
- Value structuring and goal formulation
- Internal analysis, industrial analysis, Porter's five forces, value configuration, PESTEL
- Strategic choice
- Business and corporate strategies
- International strategy
- Evaluation of alternatives
- Implementation of strategy - strategy in action
Learning process and workload
The learning process involves plenary lectures,discussions, group presentation of a self selected strategic decision problem and the writing of a project paper.
The students (in groups of at least three and no more than six) must routinely submit their planned solution process.
Recommended workload in hours
|Analysis of decision problem||
|Writing the term paper||
|Total recommended use of time||
Final grade in the course will be based on following activities and wieghts:
Part 1 - Project paper, counts for 50% of final grade.
The project is handed out when the semester starts and can be solved in groups of at least three, and no more than six students. Submission at the end of the semester.
Part 2 - Oral examiniation, counts for 50% of final grade.
At the oral examination the submitted project paper shall be presented by the / those students who have solved it. The examination will be approx. 20 min. and deal with the project paper and related theory. All group members will receive the same grade.
EXC 35051 - Project paper. Counts 50% towards the final grade in EXC 3505 Strategy, 7,5 ECTS credits.
EXC 35052 - Oral examiniation. Counts 50% towards the final grade in EXC 3505 Strategy, 7,5 ECTS credits.
Examination support materials
All support materials allowed.
Examination support materials at written examiniations are explained under examination information in the student portal @BI. Please note use of calculator and dictionary. https://at.bi.no/EN/Pages/Exa_Hjelpemidler-til-eksamen.aspx
Re-sit examination is offered at next scheduled course.