APPLIES TO ACADEMIC YEAR 2016/2017
ELE 3764 Advertising Research
Responsible for the course
Morten Erichsen, Morten William Knudsen
Department of Marketing
According to study plan
Language of instruction
It has become increasingly vital to create distinctive and effective advertising. Firstly, advertising must awaken enthusiasm in the recipient, which is achieved by making a different and unexpected advertising while having relevance for the target group. This effect is achieved by using a so-called creative message. Consequently, the course highlights insight in creativity, creative processes and creative advertising. Secondly, all advertising needs to be tested to ensure an adequate level of effectiveness. This is done by pre-testing the campaign before it is implemented. This course focuses on various methods of pre-testing. Moreover, it is equally essential to determine whether the campaign actually reached its objectives. Course participants will therefore be given a thorough introduction to various methods of post-testing campaigns.
In order to conduct testing procedures, course participants need a thorough understanding of methods and methodology, in addition to quantitative and qualitative analysis. Consequently, this course emphasises methodological rigour.
- Students will have insight into the recipient’s background
- Students will have basic knowledge of creativity, creative processes and creative advertising
- Students will be familiar with procedures leading to first-rate ideas based on customer briefing
- Students will have knowledge of the conditions that need to be met for an advertising campaign to be effective; effectiveness here defined as fulfilment of communication goals
- Students will be familiar with the most important methods of pre and post-testing of campaigns
After the course students will be able to:
- Design creative advertising campaigns
- Adapt ideas to different channels
- Single out creative and effective solutions
- Pre-test campaigns
- Post-test campaigns
Students will demonstrate an understanding of the necessity of both creativity and effectiveness as well as knowledge of how legislation regulates both content and style of a presented message. Students will be able to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of various methods.
Students must have passed MRK 3414 Marketing Management and a basic course in statistics, either MET 2920 Statistics or MET 3431 Statistics or equivalent.
Drewniany, Bonnie L., A. Jerome Jewler. 2014. Creative strategy in advertising. 11th ed., International ed. Wadsworth Cengage Learning
Kaufmann, Geir. 2006. Hva er kreativitet?. Universitetsforlaget
Collection of articles:
Erichsen, Morten og Knudsen, Morten William. 2014. Artikkelsamling i kreativ reklameutforming og research. Publiseres på Itslearning. Measuring AD Message Effectiveness. Shimp & Andrews Kapittel 17. Measuring the Effectiveness of the Promotional Program. Belch & Belch Kapittel 19. Diverse artikler på eksperimenter og testing
- Advertising relevance and creativity
- What? Convincing message
- How? Advertising design
- Insight as a basis for creativity
- How to create ‘the great idea’?
- Creative processes and creative thinking
- Methods for pre-testing campaigns
- Methods for post-testing campaigns
- Advertising effectiveness
SAS JMP and Qualtrics
Learning process and workload
Learning outcome will be achieved through a mixture of lectures, assignments and individual work. A practical assignment constitutes an important part of the learning process. Groups of maximum three students must create and qualitatively (focus groups) test an advertisement for a client of their choice.
Use of hours
|Participation in lectures||
|Preparation for lectures||
|Assignments and group work||
A Term paper over two weeks, concludes the course. The paper may be written individually or in groups of up to three students.
ELE 37641 Term paper, counts for 100% of the final grade in ELE 3764 Advertising Research, 7.5 credits.
Examination support materials
All support materials are allowed.
For electives re-sit is normally offered at the next scheduled course. If an elective is discontinued or is not initiated in the semester it is offered, re-sit will be offered in the electives ordinary semester.