APPLIES TO ACADEMIC YEAR 2013/2014
BIK 2904 Situational Leadership
Responsible for the course
Morten Emil Berg
Department of Leadership and Organizational Behaviour
According to study plan
Language of instruction
Practical tools for you as leader
This is a very practical course depicting daily management of groups or small organizations. You are offered tools that you might try out immediately. As a leader you have to understand your followers and their situation, then you may choose a leadership style appropriate to the situation at hand, bearing in mind the development of your followers. The leader`s tool box is presented in detail. Much emphasis is given to creating a good atmosphere and good relations.
Having completed the course, participants should
- See the pig picture of modern leadership
- Understand the meaning of emotional intelligence
- Have knowledge of leadership theories, i.e. Grid; situational leadership; self leadership and super leaderhip; transactional leadership and transformational leadership
- Have knowledge of the five levels of leadership: Ideological leadership; Strategic leadership; Admiistrative leadership; Operational leadership; Self leadership
- Have gained insight into the leader`s tool kit: Conflict management, feedback, etc.
- Deploy situational leaderhip in a job setting
- Use at least 10 practical tools from the leader`s tool kit
- Greater awareness of your own emotional intelligence and ability to use these skills in practice
- Identify, deploy and work on your own signature strengths as a leader
- Support and challenge followers so that they succeed
- Create your own plan for personal development as a leader
Attitudes and values
- Altruistic attitude. Wanting to help followers and customers succeed
- Making a contribution so that followers can develop their signature strengths and live a meaningful life
- Reflecting on your personal signature strengths
- Possessing a constructive yet critical approach to theories and tools in leadership. Consciousness of both positive and negative consequences and implications of using such theories and tools
Participants should have some insight into organizations and leadership and/or leadership experience.
Berg, Morten Emil. 2008. Ledelse : verktøy og virkemidler. 3. utg. Universitetsforlaget. (300 sider)
Spurkeland, Jan. 2009. Relasjonsledelse. 4. utg. Universitetsforlaget. (228 sider)
2010. Leading at a higher level : Blanchard on how to be a high-performing leader. 2nd ed. Pearson
Perspectives on efficient leadership
- What does the role imply?
- Leadership on five levels
- Me as a leader: Challenges and possibilities
- Paradoxes and dilemmas facing leaders
- Concern for followers and concern for tasks
- Transactional leadership and tranformational leadership
- Various leadership styles: Telling; Coaching; Supporting; Delegating
- Choosing leadership style according to followers` level of competency and commitment
- Developing followers` competency
- Evaluation and practical use of situational leadership. "Different strokes for different folks"
- From position to relation
- Dialogue as tool
- Behaviours enhancing relationship and behaviours weakening relationship
- Competency in relationship
Leader`s tool kit
- Emotional intelligence
- Development of signature strengths
- Goals. Delegation. Empowerment
- Self leadership. Monitoring your own thoughts. Mental maps
- "Strokes and punishment". Feedback. 360 feedback
- Dialogue with followers. Coaching.
- Time management
- Handling the power aspect. Conflict management
- Success criteria and pitfalls
Personal development plan
How might I develop as a leader?
Learning process and workload
42 hours lectures, teamwork, etc. When arranged as an in-house course, there will be contributions from the organiszation itself. Assignments can be focused on the particular organization. Emphasis is put on creating a good and supporting learning environment.
When completing the course at BI netstudies , students access the netbased teaching platform Apollon and also participate at regular lectures. Relevant literature, exercises (also included assigments to be handed in), relevant cases as well as digital resources will be published on Apollon. Students may communicate with their net teacher and felllow students.
Five hours written examination.
BIK 29041 - Written exam; counts 100% in order to pass the course BIK 2904, 7,5 credits.
Examination support materials
Re-sit at the next ordinary exam.