APPLIES TO ACADEMIC YEAR 2012/2013
GRA 8169 Strategy Process|
Responsible for the course
Department of Strategy and Logistics
According to study plan
Language of instruction
The subject of strategy process is evolving rapidly, due to globalization and increasingly rapid changes in the competitive environment in virtually all industries. This course is designed to address strategy execution and strategy process in such rapidly changing environments.
The intent of the Strategy Process course is to give students an understanding of how to engage in strategy implement and execution over time, building on the knowledge and competence gained from the Strategy Analysis course.
· To understand the role of the strategic leader and the top management team in setting and implementing the strategic process.
· To understand the links between strategy formulation and implementation and how they are linked to the leadership, culture, organization design, competitive dynamics and larger political, social, economic, technological, environmental and legal environments of the firm. .
· To understand how strategies actually get implemented in organizations
· To be able to design action programs for strategy implementation and process based on sound strategic analysis.
· To be able to formulate a strategy for a firm that is linked to strategy implementation and execution.
· To be able to create a complex strategic action plan with detailed steps and timing for the implementation of a strategy.
· To understand the trade-offs between the differing strategy models, theories and frameworks and when to use them in a strategy process.
· To apply the contingency approach to strategic leadership, formation and change
· To apply economic, psychological, and social psychological models, theories and perspectives to the implementation of strategy processes
· To understand the dynamic and recursive nature of strategy process.
· To understand the role of time and timing in strategy execution.
Granted admission to the EMBA programme and passed GRA xxxx Strategy Analysis.
Strategy - Process, Content, Context. 2010. Strategy - Process, Content, Context. 4th Edition or 5th edition when available
Assorted relevant academic journal articles and practitioner publications from Harvard Business Review and Sloan Management Review.
Learning process and workload
The course will be organised around selected topics per the course outline and use in-depth discussion of business cases and the professional experience of participants to ground relevant theories and frameworks which must be explicitly used in the write-ups. The workload will involve intensive group and individual work that is aimed at integrating strategy theory and practice..
1 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of 26-30 hours.
Attendance to all sessions in the course is compulsory. If you have to miss part(s) of the course you must ask in advance for leave of absence. More than 20% absence in a course will require retaking the entire course. It's the student's own responsibility to obtain any information provided in class that is not included on the course homepage/ It's learning or other course materials