GRA 2264 BI Flex Internship
THIS COURSE DESCRIPTION IS VALID FOR SUMMER AND AUTUMN 2020 ONLY.
The BI Flex Internship is available for students in the following programmes:
1) MSc in Business
2) MSc in Strategic Marketing Management
3) MSc in Applied Economics
The BI Flex internship is an opportunity to work abroad or in Norway over a suitable period. The intern is responsible for finding the internship, where he/she would work at a specific company, university or organisation, based on the student’s own interests. This internship can be full-time (minimum 4 weeks) or part-time (minimum 150 hours), and it can be combined with exchange, electives or summer school.
The internship will give you valuable insights in real-world challenges from an international perspective, and should help you in setting your academic learning in perspective. The internship must be approved in advance by BI (via Experiential learning, BI Internship).
The students do not need full study progression from their first year of their MSc programme.
If the BI Flex Internship is conducted in Norway, it is necessary to complete the internship outside of the ordinary teaching semester (e.g. during the summer holiday). If the BI Flex Internship is carried out while on exchange, the internship can be conducted during the teaching semester at the institution abroad if possible.
The BI Flex Internship cannot be combined with other programme specific Internship courses.
A completed and approved internship will give 6 ECTS credits.
- Knowledge of key practical dilemmas of the everyday work in the company, university or organisation
- Knowledge of the formal management systems in the company, university or organisation
- Knowledge of the day-to-day challenges involved in time management, efficiency and customer service
- Ability to define and execute tasks under conditions of uncertainty and change, particularly regarding international contexts.
- Ability to support suggestions for practical solutions with academically sound analysis.
- Ability to collaborate and to work in teams
- Learn to not taking anything at face value and to deferring judgement
- Understanding of the complexities of the market forces that drive business
- Openness to ideas from a variety of perspectives
- Gain insight into the realities of working in an international/national environment
By the end of the internship the student will write a paper related to the internship. Each student is entitled to a maximum of 1.5 hours supervision on the term paper.
As part of this course, it is compulsory to participate in an employability course.
Students must attend work as agreed upon with the company, university or organisation with whom they obtain an internship placement. In order for the BI Flex internship to be included in the student's diploma, approval must be sought in advance from BI (via Experiential learning, BI Internship).
The internship work can be paid or unpaid.
All courses in the Masters programme will assume that students have fulfilled the admission requirements for the programme. In addition, courses in second, third and/or fourth semester can have specific prerequisites and will assume that students have followed normal study progression. For double degree and exchange students, please note that equivalent courses are accepted.
|Exam category||Weight||Invigilation||Duration||Grouping||Comment exam|
Form of assessment:
Examination next semester, thereafter when next scheduled course
|100||No||1 Semester(s)||Individual||A report describing the work, students’ own reflection and the evaluation from the company/organisation or university. 6 ECTS credits are awarded.|
|Form of assessment:||Written submission|
|Comment:||A report describing the work, students’ own reflection and the evaluation from the company/organisation or university. 6 ECTS credits are awarded.|
|Resit:||Examination next semester, thereafter when next scheduled course|
A course of 1 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of 26-30 hours. Therefore a course of 6 ECTS credits corresponds to a workload of at least 160 hours.