BST 9742 Small Business Development
This course, together with BTH 9743 Bachelors Thesis Small Business Development, 15 ECTS, makes up a specialisation of 30 ECTS, which is included in the students final diploma. The course applies to students enrolled on the Bachelors Programme in Marketing or the Bachelors Programme in Business Administration. Other students may choose this course as an elective in their 3rd year.
The course aims at qualifying students for management of small and medium-sized enterprises SMEs as well as for consultancy work for SMEs. This entails that the specialisation has ties to the business community and practical entrepreneurship. Cases and discussions are used to enable students to find work methods for contributing optimally to their own and other students learning. Hence the students become responsible for the learning processes, together with the organizers of the processes.
After completed course students shall have:
- Acquired basic knowledge of entrepreneurship
- Acquired knowledge of decision-making support systems for SMEs
- Learned management of SMEs in various phases, from start-up to winding-up of companies.
- Know about critical sucsessfactors for a SME
After completed course students shall be able to:
- Prepare a business plan with focus on how to develop SMEs.
- Analyse management needs for companies in various phases.
- Prepare plans with budgets and economic consequence analyses.
The students should develop respect for the complexity of enterprises.
The students should be able to practice solution-oriented behaviour with ethical reflection.
Development and start-up phase
- External conditions for business in Norway
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Development of business ideas
- Business models and business plan process
- From business plan to operational business
- Management challenges in the development and start-up phase
- The digitalization
Growth and maturation phase
- Development of leadership-, information and management systems
- Cooperation, alliances and net work
- Practical financial management in SMB
- Management and control in a growth phase
- Board functions in SMB and start ups
- Boards work with control and risk management
- Management in a growth phase
Strategic development - renewal - change
- Development of competence and employer - HRM
- Strategic management and strategic processes in SMB
- Project as a work tool
- Innovation and development processes
- Management of development processes
- Crises and risk management
- Acquisitions, fusions and fisions
- Change management
During the first part of the term there will be given a work task that must be aproved. The assignment is a demand for delivering the final term paper.
The task may be solved alone or in groups of up to three people. The written task will be given feedback in plenary. The task is mandatory.
Students must employ PCs with Internet access. There are no particular requirements as regards IT competence but students must be familiar with using the Internet, database searches and using computer-based tools to analyse, structure and present information. Active use of BI’s Internet-based learning platform It’s Learning.
Ved kontinuasjon kan prosjektoppgaven (eksamen) besvarer med pensum som ble brukt høsten 2018. Ved kontinuasjon høsten 2019 er det ikke krav til godkjent arbeidskrav.
2 years of bachelor studies in business administration, marketing or equivalent.
Basic course of statistics from the 1st year of the bachelors programme MET 3431 Statistics or MET 2920 Statistics.
|Mandatory coursework||Courseworks given||Courseworks required||Comment coursework|
|Exam category||Weight||Invigilation||Duration||Grouping||Comment exam|
Form of assessment:
Internal and external examiner
Examination when next scheduled course
|100||No||1 Semester(s)||Group/Individual (1 - 3)||The topic of the term paper is preparation of a plan for developing SMEs with focus on critical sucessfactors and risk.|
|Form of assessment:||Written submission|
|Grouping (size):||Group/Individual (1-3)|
|Comment:||The topic of the term paper is preparation of a plan for developing SMEs with focus on critical sucessfactors and risk.|
|Resit:||Examination when next scheduled course|
|Course code||Credit reduction|
|Course code:||BIK 2940|
Kurset BIK 2940 sperrer 100% mot kurset BST 9742 Bedriftsutvikling for SMB.
Teaching on Campus
Prepare for teaching
Group work / Assignments
Group work / Assignments
Student's own work with learning resources
A course of 1 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of 26-30 hours. Therefore a course of 15 ECTS credit corresponds to a workload of at least 400 hours.